Friday 2 February 2007

Nassarrawa State: Our Collective Indictment

Nestled away from the madding crowd is a one of Nigeria’s most endowed state – Nassarrawa State. My early recollection of this idyllic state is one of great profundity .The beautiful landscape, the budding trading activities, the hardworking drive of the inhabitants, dug deep into me, a wonderful experience. Nassarrawa to me, was a virgin land next to Abuja, laying the foundations of an economically vibrant State – migrants flocked in from different parts of the country to take advantage of the professional and manual labors the emerging State created.

I went there a couple of times to see a funny friend of mine. I still remember the life, the passion to live, I saw in the eyes of the inhabitants. The people there prided themselves in the earth. The soil was endearing, rich, pleasing. It beckoned with pulsating ease and friendship to the visitor. I remember the day I went there with a vague description of the chubby fella ; I found someone instantly who directed me to his house.

I had known the environs of Nyaya and Karu very well – as sister towns to Maraba (a place in Nassarrawa State) that experienced great growth in commercial activities and estate constructions: virtually everything you needed for sustenance was found in great abundance, especially in Nyaya. Nyaya and Karu are places in Abuja. Nassarrawa shared with Jigawa State, a quality that appealed to me. There was a great sense of commaradie among the people. The quiet, gentle demeanor of the people was possessive .There was only one secret that eluded me: underneath the Nassarawan earth lied – and still does - tremendous wealth of solid minerals and raw materials.

The State is a haven of solid minerals, - Beryl (Emerald, Aquamarine and Heliodor), Sapphire, Tourmaline, Quartz, Amethyst Garnet Topaz, Zircon, Tantalite, Cassiterite, Columbite etc – all used variously to make human needs i.e. steel production and manufacturing space crafts.

Nassarrawa state has 13 local governments, rich in minerals and raw materials and is among the States created by the Abacha government on October 1 1996.The Governor is Abdullahi Adamu. Nassarrawa state is spread across 27,116.8 square kilometers and borders Abuja to the North-West, Plateau State to the North-East, Kaduna to the North, Benue ,South, Kogi State, South-West, Taraba, South East.It lies in the guinea Savannah and enjoys a moderate rainfall, making it an agricultural hub.

Nigeria sits on a volcanic spread of agro raw materials, metallic, non-industrial, fuel and gemstone minerals. Upon my findings of the rich intensity of natural resources in Nigeria, I rolled in painful astonishment.


In many ways, Nassarrawa State encapsulates our collective laziness, shame, weakness, impotence; pathological inability to transcend the basic stage of resources; our inability to diversify our source of income; attend to the pressing needs of oil-producing communities who have lidded years of frustration of oil exploration. Why can we not speed up exploring solid minerals in Nassarrawa and other equally ebullient States to broaden our revenue base? You would have thought production of these resources would be stretched to full tilt. We are too complacent to bulge, to kick off governments happy to retain a mono-economy. We allow rich earth lie idle.

Not quite long ago, I read that gold was found in five states in Nigeria, but I am yet to read anything pertaining to their development. While writing this article, I thought about ringing up government ministries to prospect their plans for solid mineral diversity, but I was restrained. If after almost eight years in government, oil accounts for most of our wealth, I have no confidence any initiative worth knowing, would emanate from their lips, at this stage.

The Ministry of Solid Minerals Development recently released a six page report stating that government would allow 100% foreign ownership for coal development as well as profit repatriation as part of efforts to revive the coal mining industry. The report states that the Anambra Basin has the largest and most economically viable coal deposit of over 1.5 million hectares. This is coming after almost eight years!

We know that countries like South Africa and Ghana derive a big chunk from their revenue from Gold.The answer is simple: we are lazy. I was speaking with a Niger Deltan, when he bared his heart on the frustration of Niger Deltans. The Nigerian constitution allocates only 13% derivation to oil-producing areas of the country. If I had my druthers, I would mandate 100% State resource control with a remission to the center. I enjoy hardwork; sweat makes eating great.

Within me lies a thought, perhaps fatalism, perhaps reality, that in the absence of oil, many would renege their commitment to nation building, that is why I am reluctant sometimes to indulge in any engagement. Nigerians sing sectional praises, leaders are judged on the basis of their ethnicity. Everything is ethicized - politics, religion, crime, you name it. I have seen people make statements that shocked the wits out of me. If a Governor appoints someone who is not from his ethnic group, he is praised ethnically. Why can’t we just rise above this and move on. Why? Why? I am sick to the back of my teeth!


In one of our national newspapers recently, some Governors spoke against the paltry 13% revenue accruing to oil-producing people! This shows the depth of disdain and it could also be a tactical move to checkmate any future agitation for revenue control.

South African gold makes up 50% of its export income - diamond also contributes. Namibia is a major producer of diamonds and Uranium.

Friends, Romans, countrymen lend me your ears. Nigerians be honest with me. I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips. A fate worse than death lurks in the corner if urgency is not kissed, if this funny farm is not cured. How many of you would be Nigerians if there was no oil?


Sources
Nassarawastate.org
rmrdc.gov.ng

No comments: